Recruiting Section Mission Statement
To recruit detention candidates who are motivated, ethical, and most of all, highly qualified for a prospective position.
If you are interested in learning more about becoming a detention officer or to pursue a career in detention operations please review information below for information about the screening process, job descriptions, pay/benefits, and disqualifiers. We have full time and part time positions available and college students are encouraged to apply, and we will work with your college schedules.
The Curry County Detention Center is responsible for providing a safe and humane environment for persons incarcerated at the Curry County Detention Facility. Detention personnel manage the movement, behavior, and daily operations of a detention center for offenders.
Selection Process for the Curry County Detention Center
Applicants must pass all, or any combination, of the following selection steps to be a candidate for employment consideration:
- Application Prescreen
- Oral Board or Assessment Interview
- Integrity Interview
- Background Investigation
- Pre-employment Physical Examination
- Drug Screen
- Valid Driver’s License
Applicants or employees will be considered ineligible for hire or rehire by Curry County if the employee has:
- Made any false statement or omitted any relevant information on his or her application.
- Does not meet the requirements for the position.
- Failed to complete the pre-employment medical examination, drug screening, urinalysis, or other requirements as directed by the employing authority.
- Not been certified by a physician that he can perform the physical requirements of the position.
- Not a legal resident of the United States.
- Failed to fulfill the statutory requirement of Section 4-41-8 NMSA (1978)(1987 Comm. Supp.) if applying for position of deputy sheriff.
- Not met the criteria for insurance bonding as required by County or State law where applicable.
The above list is not exhaustive and does not include all of the reasons which would make an application ineligible for hire or rehire. The failure by any applicant to have successfully completed the probationary period in a similar county position may make the applicant ineligible for rehire.
When you are ready to apply, click on this link: https://www.currycounty.org/departments/personnel/job-opportunities and search for open positions with the Curry County Detention. Complete the online application and take a step towards becoming part of the select few who have what it takes to be a detention officer or have a career in detention center operations.
Curry County Training Academy
The Training Academy is responsible for delivering high quality training based on relevant, up-to-date, detention best practices that are aimed at developing high performing detention professionals. This training includes basic training for newly hired detention officers and civilian staff. In addition, the Academy provides advanced training to all existing staff to ensure that the Curry County Adult and Juvenile Detention Departments are operating at the highest industry standards.
Team Leadership Employees
If any applicant has any questions in regard to detention operations please contact our leadership team at 575-762-3810
Detention Administrator Mark Gallegos firstname.lastname@example.org
Security Captain Jaime Wornell email@example.com
Thank you again for your interest in the Curry County Adult and Juvenile Detention Operations. If you have any further questions, you are encouraged to email our Detention Recruiter, Security Captain Jaime Wornell firstname.lastname@example.org.